Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Martinez

It's been over three years since I posted here so let's get something out of the way:  I wasn't very good at keeping up with tasting notes for the wines we'd try. Maybe it's because I'm just not as serious about wine as I am about beer, but I was usually just too lazy to take notes. Anyway, as I've been getting into cocktails more, I figured I would re-brand this blog as Chibebräu Booze--not just wine, but also cocktails. I've been messing around with cocktails more lately, and I don't want to forget the recipes I try. So sometimes there may be detailed posts with tasting notes, other times it'll just be a quick recipe. Like our homebrew blog, this is mainly for our own reference, but hopefully it'll help somebody else discover something tasty too.

Anyway, onto the Martinez. I've had a few people tell me about this, and I finally picked up both Luxardo maraschino liqueur and Hayman's Old Tom gin so I decided to give it a go. I came across a cool webpage on historical recipes here, and figured the logical place to start was with the traditional recipe (two parts sweet vermouth to one part gin). However, Leah prefers drier cocktails so I went with equal parts sweet and dry vermouth for hers. I enjoyed both of them, despite the fact I'm usually not a fan of sweet drinks myself. Anyway, here's the recipe:

2 oz. sweet vermouth (or, for Leah, 1 oz. sweet vermouth and 1 oz. dry)
1 oz. Old Tom gin
1/4 oz. maraschino liqueur
two dashes orange bitters

Next time may try all dry vermouth or perhaps going with equal parts vermouth and gin.

No comments: