Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Lindemans Bin 50 Shiraz (2007)

For the inaugural review, we have Lindemans Bin 50 Shiraz, an Australian offering that's regularly $11.49 but I scored for $5.99 at my local Jewel grocery store.

So I tend to like wines that are dry but fruity, and wines that have some body to them, and I've found that Shiraz/Syrah wines tend to fit the bill. What's interesting about this wine is that it's quite sweet but yet I still really enjoyed it. More specifically, it has a strong dark cherry/stone fruit flavor when it hits your tongue, but a tart, meaty (maybe oaky?) finish that seems to balance the sweetness. I'm bad with the whole tannin thing, so maybe it's the tannins that balance out the sweetness, but I don't think so. That being said, wikipedia says Syrah wines are known for their high tannic content, so I'm probably wrong. Whatever it is, I really like this one, and if you're fortunate to find one for the price I paid, I'd grab it in a heartbeat. On the patented Chibebräu Wine scale (skip it, only if it's on sale, or buy it again), I'm rating this one: buy it again.

So there you go, the first Chibebräu wine review. Here's to many more!

No comments: