Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Welcome to Chibebräu Wine!

Just a quick introduction... Leah and I are homebrewers who blog at chibebrau.blogspot.com. Despite our love of beer, we occasionally crave a good bottle of wine (usually red, usually dry, usually under $15, usually with Italian food). My method of purchasing wine can be described as follows:

1. Decide if I want a red or white.

2. If I want a white, skip to step 6.

3. If I want a red, go to local grocery store/drug store (or, if I'm feeling fancy, the local liquor store).

4. Find every wine that's regularly more than $10 but is on sale for less than $10.

5. Pick the wine with the largest difference between regular price and sale price (skipping Merlot unless it's a way expensive Merlot that's significantly on sale).

6. If in the mood for a white, decide if I want a Riesling or something else.

7. If I want a Riesling, pick the cheapest one that's Trocken (dry) or Halb Trocken (half-dry). [Note: this usually requires going to a halfway decent liquor store.]

8. If I don't want a Riesling, or if I can't go to a good liquor store, look for any white that's under $10 and described as dry and, preferably, oaky.

So there you have it. As you can tell, I'm not a very sophisticated wine consumer. However, I'm planning on using this blog to keep track of the wines I try so I can be a more informed consumer in the future. If you happen to stumble upon this blog, I hope you find it helpful (either for buying wine yourself or curing insomnia). If you're a wine expert and you can't believe I think a certain wine is good, take pity on me. And if you're a wine expert whose idea of a good beer is Heineken or Stella Artois, consider us even.

No comments: